Responsible Borrowing & Lending
Avanti prides itself on being a responsible lender and has policies and procedures in place to ensure it does the right thing by its customers and that it operates in compliance with the overarching lending rules set out in laws and regulations.
Avanti is also a member of the Financial Services Federation which together with its members has developed some principles to help both lenders and borrowers work responsibly together. These principles ensure that lenders (us) and borrowers (you) know what to expect when giving or receiving a loan.
The Responsible Borrowing Code is for anyone thinking of taking out a loan or entering into a credit contract. These guidelines will help you avoid penalties, repossession, stress and heartache.
It sets out minimum expectations for New Zealanders considering taking out a loan.
In New Zealand, lenders are regulated by the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act and guided by the Responsible Lending Code. As a member of the Financial Services Federation, Avanti takes its obligations as a responsible lender seriously and abides by “The Responsible Lending Code”.
OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO YOU
When you apply for a loan, we have some responsibilities to you. These include that we understand your needs and your situation. These details will allow us to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about your loan.
Rest assured, all information we collect from you will only be used and disclosed in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which you can find here. Depending on your circumstances the sort of information we may request from you is as follows:
- Your personal circumstances including your income, your age, the number of dependents and your living expenses
- What existing loans you have and whether they will be repaid with this loan
- Recent bank statements to confirm your income and expenses
- Whether your employment is full, part time or casual
- What assets you have and their value
- Details of your credit history and your consent to a Credit Check
- Requesting to see your identity documents (driver’s licence / passport etc)
To understand your needs, we may also ask the following:
- What you will use the loan for
- The amount you would like to borrow
- When you require the funds
- The loan term that best suits your needs
It is very important to us that you understand your contract and we endeavour to do the following:
- Make sure you know your rights and responsibilities before you sign the Contract
- Have clear terms and conditions that are easy to understand
- Ensure you understand the Interest Rate & Fees that apply to your Contract
- Clearly specify any security being used and ensure you are aware of this
- That you understand what may happen in the event of non-payment (repossession or sale of any property that you have provided as security)
- Give you this information at the time you apply and have details on our Website