Enjoying summer on a budget
Summer is on its way and we’re all looking forward to the warmth of the sun, enjoying the outdoors, and a BBQ or two with loved ones.
For families, summer means school holidays. For some this can be a stressful time juggling work and children, or simply juggling the needs and wants of our kids. Just like planning what to have for dinner every night, thinking up things to do with children can be a challenge.
We thought it would be great to provide a few helpful tips on things you can do with your children that won’t break the bank.
HERE IS A LIST OF FREE ACTIVITIES IN AUCKLAND YOU COULD DO DURING THIS TIME:
THE SUNNY OUTDOORS
Pack a picnic, togs, sunscreen and a couple of beach toys and enjoy a day at the beach. Auckland has dozens of beaches to visit – aucklandnz.com/discover beaches
Grab your bikes & scooters and head down to one of your local events. Don’t forget a picnic lunch, sunscreen and your kite if it’s a breezey day – ourauckland.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz / kids events Enjoy at day out at one of New Zealand’s beautiful walks and parks. kidzgo.co.nz/walks and parks Take the kids on a bush walk. There are plenty of free walks to enjoy (short & long) – freewalks.nz
… and the list goes on. Search your way to free fun and entertainment!
A RELAXING DAY INDOORS
- Visit your local library. Auckland libraries regularly host kid-friendly events and they’re free! – aucklandlibraries.govt.nz
- There are lots of fun things to do and explore at the Auckland Museum. Visit the Weird and Wonderful Discovery Centre and eat your packed lunch in the Kai Room – aucklandmuseum.com/kids and family
- Visit the Auckland Art Gallery where kids can make and take home their own art. Take your packed lunch and enjoy a free day out – aucklandartgallery.com/family activities
- Movies in the Park means there are free night movies on all over the city, so pack your rug and popcorn and enjoy! – moviesinparks.co.nz
- Grab your dancing shoes and picnic rug and enjoy Music in Parks. There are 24 events around Auckland from Jan to Apr – musicinparks.co.nz
- Have some free fun at Bubble Trouble at Silo Park Sat 5th Jan 12-6pm – ourauckland.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/bubble trouble at silo park
If you're not based in Auckland and are looking for holiday entertainment ideas, check out the links below:
Santa Parades around New Zealand: eventfinda.co.nz/santa parade
Activity Ideas: kiwifamilies.co.nz/free outings
Wellington: wellington.govt.nz/summer events
If your credit score is stopping you from getting your first home loan, it can feel like you’ll never find a place of your own in New Zealand. But there
If you’re struggling to put together the full 20 per cent deposit required for a first home loan, these are the alternatives open to you.