Having fun at Christmas doesn’t have to be expensive. Below you’ll find a heap of budget-friendly ideas to entertain friends, family and whanau of all ages. Plus some of these activities will save you money by making your own decorations, food and gifts.
Click on the links to find tutorials to guide you and examples to inspire your own activities.
Read more: Christmas on a Budget: Decorations
Spreading Good Cheer
- Video chat with friends and family who can’t be with you
- Make a holiday greeting video instead of a card
- Take a silly Christmas photo to send around
Presence, not Presents
- Have a themed games night
- Read a Christmas story together
- Do a scavenger hunt
- Watch a family movie (try renting from the library or take advantage of free streaming trials)
OUT AND ABOUT
- Head out to see Christmas decorations around the neighbourhood (try here if you’re in Auckland)
- Seek out a free Christmas concert (here are a few in Auckland)
- Head to the beach
- Go to a local swimming pool (free for under-16s!)
- Go on a family walk; try the Botanic Gardens or go berrypicking
- Have a picnic at the park
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Volunteer at a local mission
- Check your council site for local events
- See if there are any free movie nights (such as at your local library)
- Experience local Christmas markets
You and the whanau don’t have to miss out on Christmas activities just because you’re on a budget. And remember, these are just a few suggestions – there’ll be plenty more if you put your and the family’s minds to it. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
This article is solely for information purposes and is not intended to be financial advice. If you need help, please contact Avanti Finance or your financial adviser. Neither Avanti Finance nor any person involved in this article accepts any liability for any loss or damage whatsoever which may directly or indirectly result from any information, representation or omission, whether negligent or otherwise, contained in this publication. References to third-party websites are provided for your convenience only. Avanti Finance accepts no responsibility for the availability or content of such websites.